The litmus test for effective feedback is when a student is able to answer:
- Where am I going?
- Where am I in the learning?
- What do I need to learn next?
7 Principles of good feedback:
- It clarifies what good performance is (goals, criteria, expected standards).
- It facilitates development of self-assessment in learning.
- It provides high quality information to students about their learning.
- It encourages teacher and peer dialogue around learning.
- It encourages positive motivational beliefs and self-esteem.
- It provides opportunity to close the gap between current and desired performance.
- It provides information to the teacher that can be used to help shape teaching.
Leading Impact Teams, Bloomberg, Pitchford, 2017.